Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Knowing is Loving...

So often Jesus states things clearly but it takes us awhile to 'get it.'  My Spurgeon devotional had a beautiful line that relates to the solution for that:

"He shot from heaven a piercing ray
And the dark treachery was brought to day."


Jesus is the Light that we are to walk in, but sometimes we, like Judas, sell Him out.  We look for what we can 'get' today.  Even though we hear His Word, it stops at the words.  We have knowledge but we fail to weave the words into our hearts.  We let what we see around us block out the deeper, harder Truth He gives.  We hear His Words but value something more--or reject the pain of the 'piercing ray.'  The religious leaders heard and believed--but wanted the praise of men more.  Judas accepted a measly thirty silver coins.  What are we accepting in place of Him?

Jesus was a 'man or sorrows'--a man who grieved and said his soul was troubled.  Following Jesus whole-heartedly does not mean we will never have a troubled heart.  This world is full of pain; He has overcome it with His love and willingness to suffer for us.

Jesus told the disciples walk in the light while you have it.  And when you don't have it, LOVE.  For years the disciples had walked with Jesus.  People saw their physical walk and 'knew' they were disciples.  Now Jesus said there is a new command you must hear and receive so people will KNOW.  That new command is LOVE each other like Jesus loves...purely and perfectly. 

True knowing is revealed in true loving.  Love only comes because He loves us first.  The disciple John often called himself, the 'one whom Jesus loved.'  I truly believe he used that phrase because he was awed at the reality Jesus loved him.  I don't believe he was elevating himself as a favorite.  When we receive the awesome reality of being loved by the King of Kings, we know fully.

My thoughts reminded me of some wonderful verses from Corinthians: 
 
For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.   I Corinthians 13:9-12
 
Let's choose to let His light penetrate to our depths that love can flow!





 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment