Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Slide of Sin



My heart was heavy before I began my devotion time...and a heaviness still remains.  The slide toward sin in the world brings heartache all around; that heartache has been weighing on me.  As I read Jeremiah, I saw things have not changed.  In fact, the passage explained that while the Israelites were moaning the loss of some of the temple items, more would be robbed by the Babylonians.  As I think of the glory of God removed from our land, our churches and our lives, I see a parallel.  I needed the message Jeremiah sent to the captives of that day: 
 
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.
Jeremiah 29:11-13
 
That is one of my favorite passages of scriptures.  It is energizing to know that God thinks good toward each of us.  That didn't remove the difficulties, but Jeremiah told them:  Live...love your families, work and trust me.  Back 'home' things would not be improving any time soon.  Actually for any who chose not to draw near to God, things would not be improving.  That is at it should be.  In the middle of the night a song came into my mind.  "Take the name of Jesus with you, child of sorrow and of woe.  It will joy and comfort give you.  Take it then where ere you go."  There is sin and hardship in this world but through Christ ALL things are possible.

Those are my 'take-aways' this morning:  God has good thoughts for me.  The name of Jesus--the powerful, life-changing, life-giving NAME--is mine to carry into this dark world.  His plans will prevail!  I'm ready to go.  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment