Friday, July 19, 2013

Where is God in the darkness, tears and heartache?

God always does His best, and He wants us to enjoy it.  That was the message of my devo time this morning--but along side that truth, my heart was considering some tough things.  How do we see His best in the really ugly things of this world:  suicide, addiction, lost souls, unhealthy churches, mean people.  Oh the list of hard stuff can go on and on.  Digging into those dark things will reveal the glory of God...but none of us really want to do that, do we? 

The Lupus 3 dark cloud and associated hot young stars

Psalm 80 uses a word picture our hearts can understand:  He fed them with the bread of tears.  I don't like eating tears; I don't like it when my loved ones have to eat tears.  Yet I believe God would never give a diet that leads to death.  He loves life, and He has purpose:  to reveal His best.

It always saddens me to hear people say, "I shouldn't ask God why."  Why shouldn't we--if our desire is to know Him more?  He wants to answer our questions--to show us His glory.  Sometimes the answers take a while...He wants to make us stronger, to take us deeper (than we probably want to go).  But He is a God who always does His best; He is good and He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.  His love is the essence of perseverance; He wants us to love Him with that same passion. 

Can I pray for you that He will give you precious treasures from darkness?  And that you will share those treasures with others that life and love will flow from the pain? God wraps Himself in the darkness:  Persevere to His glory.

 

1 comment:

  1. Here's a sweet comment I received via email. ENJOY!

    his reminded me of a wonderful song. One of my mother's favorites and also one of mine.



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8mL_zfCNGk



    Lyrics: This is by Ira Stamphill written in 1955. Be sure to listen because it is beautiful.

    1.
    He washed my eyes with tears that I might see,
    The broken heart I had was good for me;
    He tore it all apart and looked inside,
    He found it full of fear and foolish pride.
    He swept away the things that made me blind
    And then I saw the clouds were silver lined;
    And now I understand 'twas best for me
    He washed my eyes with tears that I might see.

    2.
    He washed my eyes with tears that I might see
    The glory of Himself revealed to me;
    I did not know that He had wounded hands
    I saw the blood He spilt upon the sands.
    I saw the marks of shame and wept and cried;
    He was my substitute for me He died;
    And now I'm glad He came so tenderly;
    And washed my eyes with tears that I might see.

    ReplyDelete