Monday, January 20, 2014

Digging into who we are!

Hey, friends.  This may be of no interest to many of you, and yet, some of you may love it.  I am working on creating a series of spiritual writing assignments as part of the GED program.  We used this first one today and found it a sweet way to dig into the Word.  It is a mini Bible study with a goal of writing a prayer in response.   If it looks like something you might enjoy, please consider posting your prayer back on the blog.  If you prefer to keep it anonymous, you could email me the prayer.  I look forward to your insights and thoughts.  Blessings!  Billie Jo

READING, WRITING & GAINING with God’s Word:  PSALM 139

Academic Goals:  Improve reading comprehension; learn to make inferences; write essays

Spiritual Goals:  Know more of who God is and His plans for each of us

You have looked deep into my heart, Lord,  and you know all about me.  You know when I am resting or when I am working, and from heaven you discover my thoughts.  You notice everything I do and everywhere I go.  Before I even speak a word, you know what I will say,
and with your powerful arm you protect me from every side.  I can’t understand all of this! Such wonderful knowledge is far above me.

Where could I go to escape from your Spirit or from your sight?  If I were to climb up
to the highest heavens, you would be there. If I were to dig down to the world of the dead you would also be there.  Suppose I had wings like the dawning day and flew across the ocean.
10 Even then your powerful arm.  would guide and protect me.  11 Or suppose I said, “I’ll hide
in the dark until night comes to cover me over.”  12 But you see in the dark because daylight and dark are all the same to you.

13 You are the one who put me together inside my mother’s body, 14 and I praise you because of
the wonderful way you created me.  Everything you do is marvelous!  Of this I have no doubt.  15 Nothing about me is hidden from you!  I was secretly woven together deep in the earth below,16 but with your own eyes you saw my body being formed.  Even before I was born, you had written in your book everything I would do.

17 Your thoughts are far beyond my understanding, much more than I could ever imagine.  18 I try to count your thoughts, but they outnumber the grains of sand on the beach.  And when I awake,
I will find you nearby.


Copyright © 1995 by American Bible Society

TODAY’S FOCUS:  Our Identity (Psalm 139:13-16)

Comprehension Questions

1)      What do you know from verses 13-16 about your creation?

2)      What other things do you know from scripture that can help you know more from this passage?

a.       What did God say about creation in Genesis?  How does that apply here?

b.      From the context (verses around these), what do you know about God’s attention to your life?

                                                               i.      Are there ‘accidents’ in your design?  Would God have known your parents, grandparents…?  Would He have chosen your birth place…your challenges…your mistakes?

c.       What do you know about God that helps you better understand this?


Hints and helps

God planned your creation.  You were (are) wanted by Him.  God is the one who made you…wove you together with a purpose.  God is all-knowing, all-powerful, all-loving.  Nothing is hidden from God’s eyes.  Nothing surprises Him.  He is always with us.

Other verses:  Genesis 1:31; Exodus 4:11; John 9:3; Galatians 1:15

 

Writing Questions & Prompts

1.       Write a thank you letter (or a prayer) to God that acknowledges at least three great things about your creation.

2.       Write an essay about how these Truths can change the way you think about yourself (and/or others).  Give at least three examples.

No comments:

Post a Comment