Tuesday, October 22, 2013

What you say starts with what you hear...

Tuning my ear to heaven is my take-away this morning.  It is often mentioned how often the disciples heard that Jesus would die and rise again--but it still took them by surprise.  I can think of parallels in my own life; things I should have known but missed.  This morning I read the passages which include Peter's confession of the identity of Jesus, the Transfiguration and the healing of the child whose dad uttered that great line:  "I believe help me in my unbelief."  Woven into the words is Christ's enigmatic charge, "Tell no man until the resurrection."  Perhaps the Telling comes only from heaven?

It startled me to read this morning that at the Transfiguration, Moses and Elijah discussed Jesus' death and resurrection.  I've probably read that passage at least two dozen times and if you had asked me what they spoke of, I would have to have said, 'I don't know.'  Slow learning...that's surely true for me, and I suspect it is true for humanity.  We can only grasp small pieces at a time and there is always more to our vast God.  But there is a core question that matters above all.  Jesus first asked the disciples, 'Who do people say I am?'  And then He changed the question to the one we all must answer:  "Who do you say I, Jesus, am?"  Peter shared the Truth--but it is Truth that can only be revealed by God the Father. 

Jesus told the father of the child with a demon, 'All things are possible to those who believe.'  What we believe and how we nurture that faith matters as well.  What 'heaven tells me' is that Jesus is the Christ, the Messiah who delivers us from ourselves and the evil of the world.  Because I believe, I long to feast on His Word, fast from this world and feed my soul through prayer.  I desire for my life to be a megaphone for the voice of heaven.  My prayer is for all of us to tune our ears to heaven that God might use us fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment