Friday, August 24, 2012
Health and Hope!
The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner, penned in 1797, eloquently speaks a tragic modern truth.
“Water, water everywhere and nary a drop to drink.” While the Mariner spoke of an ocean-bound person, current estimates indicate that 1.2 billion land-dwelling people face a similar crisis. In one of death’s most cruel masquerades, what appears as life-giving water in many regions of the world is actually disease ridden poison. Dirty water negatively affects human lives to a greater degree than HIV/AIDS, Malaria and Tuberculosis combined. Over 4000 children die each year from water-borne illnesses. Nearly 200 years before the Mariner’s rhyme, Leonardo DaVinci envisioned a technology that offers an effective solution to today’s tragic situation.
PVC Access 1.2 (for the 1.2 billion who need water), a project of the Water4Foundation, incorporates the DaVinci design in a low-tech, hand-drilling technology that provides clean drinking water in remote areas. The Rhyme of the Mariner recognized the death that is in 97.5% of earth’s water. The salt-water oceans comprise most of the planet’s water; ocean voyagers lost at sea who give into the temptation of drinking salt water die an excruciating death. The polar ice caps hold most of the remaining 2.5% of earth’s water captive. The water that is left is drinkable. Astoundingly, less than 1% of our planet’s water is accessible without drilling. PVC Access 1.2 aims to bring pure, clean water to the lips of a million people in 2014. Would you consider being a part of this life-saving mission?
Literally, the Water4Foundation is organizing a rescue mission. In regions with dirty water, average life expectancies end in the mid-30s. The goal of PVC Access 1.2 is reducing the death toll from water-borne disease by 2.2 million. A mission of such magnitude needs many partners. The prohibitive costs of traditional drilling hold remote areas hostage to dirty water. Rescue is possible by applying the plunger technology designed by DaVinci with the miracle of PVC pipe. With this pairing, Water4 creates life-giving wells at a fraction of the cost of a traditional rig-dug well. Averaging 600 to 1000 dollars, low-tech, hand-drilling technology bring life--and hope for the future into dying communities.
In the construction of each Water4 well, community residents are involved in the process. Members of the community are taught the technology so they can help other communities in the region... Essentially, each well is a vocational employment program that creates local entrepreneurs! Trainees obtain marketable skills for a sustainable business that offers health and hope to others. Water4 wells bring refreshment and life to the present and the future! Learn more about how you can be a part of creating this lasting legacy of life around the world.
Posted by Heartsong Ministries